Friday, October 31, 2008

Angus injury

Angus had a bad injury about 4 weeks ago. While swimming and playing at Second Lake with friends, he tore his side open, right down to the muscle. As best as we can figure, he was chasing and wrestling and must have run right into a jagged storm-felled tree. Thank heavens for Lester & Sandra, (whom I was walking that day with) who's cool heads & quick action got Angus the help he needed. Lester even took off his own tshirt to hold Angus' side together on the 1/2 mile hike out of the woods. He was sent home now 42 staples and a drainage tube..

The scream he made was bone chilling to me. A horrible scream of pain. It is a sound that is now burned into my heart & memory forever. I haven't ever seen anything like that up close in my life, and I hope never to again. It looked a million times worse than it is, and he only lost a bit of of fat when the vet removed the debris. He is healed up well now, you can barely see the scar, as his fur is almost grown back over it. It's a good thing he is such a good boy, and rested well, and left his t-shirt on while he was healing. It was so itchy, and the tshirt seemed to help him not want to scratch. he had to be under 24 hour a day scratch-watch for awhile. Steve took him to work with him one week, as I was working at the homecrafts room at the Fall fair for a few days helping a friend. He's back to running around now (in fields only, no wooded trails!) and playing, swimming, and retrieving. It scared me to death, but apparently hasn't fazed Angus one bit.



Theresa

-5883-6217-6226