Sunday, March 28, 2010

Bound For Bahrain

These Humans just love paperwork!


Organically grown seedless grapes are not safe for dogs! Dogs have suffered from grape toxicity after ingesting home-grown grapes grown without chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, etc.)

The cause of grape toxicity is unknown. Dogs have been affected by red grapes, green grapes, seedless grapes, grapes with seeds, commercially grown grapes, backyard-grown chemical-free grapes, imported grapes, grapes grown in the USA, etc. Grapes causing toxicosis have been tested for a variety of toxins (including pesticides, heavy metals, mycotoxins, etc.) with negative results.

It is not known whether some dogs are more susceptible than others.
According to the literature, toxicity has occurred with amounts as small as
0.32 oz/kg. For a 40 pound dog, this is less than 6 oz of grapes/raisins.
It is not known whether the effects can be cumulative (e.g.: will eating small amounts of grapes/raisins over time cause the same effect as one large

NO grapes or raisins are safe for dogs! Please do not feed any amount or any kind of grapes/raisins to your dogs!

Interesting article

last night at agility class, a vet, who is a fellow agility student was telling us about a case she had this week. The dog ate a child's teddy bear and was very sick. When she opened the dog up to remove what she thought was an intestinal obstruction she found a huge gelatin type mess inside and the dogs intestines were black and the tissue dead. The dog will die no surgery can fix him up there was no living intestine left from stomach to colon.

This was not an obstruction. .... so she called the manufacturer of the Teddy Bear on a quest to find out what the gel was and what killed the dog. Turns out the stuffing in children's toys contains ingredients for flame retardants and mite control! It is designed to be come a gel. It is highly toxic. Now you would think a child's toy would be safe because it is for children, but they don't expect a child to eat the stuffing of the toys... huummmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know dogs demolish stuffed toys.

So do not give or buy your dog any children's stuffed animals... some people get them at goodwill etc. The vet will be posting a warning and story and I will send any other facts as needed and as I learn more. Maybe some children's toys do not have this ingredient, but better to be safe then sorry. So meanwhile, make sure all your dog toys are for dogs. Please pass this on... it is a horrible death she described and one that can be avoided.

More info:

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Parkering

Hey Don,

Just to let you know we received the papers for Parker. Everyone can’t believe how great of a dog he is.

I do have pictures, but any notorious for not downloading them, but even better, a friend of ours looked after him while we were away and he is a pro photographer and has pictures at the below link.


Sunday, March 07, 2010

Bella (pics)

Hi Don

Just a few pics of Bella. I will send more later. This is all it would allow me to send for now. She's doing great, cute and playful as ever!!!

Leslie and Pat


Monday, March 01, 2010

Nala (pics)


Aulay & Ben (pic)

Aulay & Ben

Handsome Angus (pic)

You can't convince me that there was ever a more handsome black lab. =)

Hope you are all doing well.

Theresa & family

Handsome Angus