Thursday, October 23, 2008

When the going gets tough, the tough get muddy...

Hi Don,

Things have been quiet at my freshwater blinds this year, so I took Ruby out to Fundy for a mud hunt. This is where she had trouble with retrieves last December. There were very few birds flying, but when the tide turned a small raft of blacks and teals drifted towards me on the incoming tide. We had no blind so it was all that Ruby could do to stay steady and quiet while they got within range. I jumped them and got 3 blacks out of it – my first triple! One dead on the mud on the far side, one dead in the water, and one diving cripple. Ruby went after the cripple and got him after a few dives, then went back on a loooong swim for the dead bird, which had been carried away in the current, then finally across the channel to get the third bird off the mud on the far bank. I had my hands full casting her until the last retrieve, so unfortunately my little video clip only shows the last bird. As I was packing up a teal drifted around the corner dead – turns out that I got FOUR ducks with three shots!

Have you been getting many more birds?

Cheers,

-Dave



Photobucket