Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Charge of the Lab Brigade

We stopped yesterday at Aulac and went out to Fort Beausejour so that the dogs could run. There are acres and acres of mowed grass and cut hay fields.

We stopped below the Fort on the Bay of Fundy side about 2000 feet from the Interpretation Building and the Fort. There was a strong wind blowing but not cold. Up near the Fort there was a group of men, women, children and dogs spread out below the ramparts. They were having a nice afternoon flying beautiful very large kites over the Fort. It was quite a site.

The dogs got out of my vehicle and started running and playing pretty hard. The wind stirs them up. The get pretty excited in wind especially on grass or hay.

He saw the kites first! We were at the bottom of the hill in front of the Fort and the kites were at the top. He roared off up the hill barking at the kites with great indignation.

Next they were off in hot pursuit also furiously barking. I started after them hollering ridiculous commands like "Stop", "Bad Dogs" and "Come"!! I started trudging up the hill to the Fort not knowing what I was in store for.

At this point the Kite flyers became aware of the charge of the Lab Brigade and started scrambling to pickup toddlers and small dogs. The dogs were in a pack still barking furiously. People let their kites go in order to grab children or dogs and the kites went crashing down into the Fort. I expected the kite people were going to start hollering all sorts of things at me.

She made a wide circle of the bedlam and came down the hill to my side. After determining she could not play with the other dogs ran down the hill and started to play at my side.

he continued on alone. She barked through all the bedlam and ran on up the ramparts and I last saw her disappearing into the Fort a long way from me. I think she felt a need to capture something connected with the kites. I started the long climb up the ramparts to find her & them in tow on leash.

Then all of a sudden he reappeared. At the top of the Fort she let out one final victorious bark and started running down the ramparts at full speed coming to rest at my side.

We retreated to the hay fields and they spent the next half hour running and playing. I didn't check to see if the kite people got their kites flying again.