Friday, April 25, 2008

Article about CH Banchory Trump of Wingan

I just wanted to let you know I agree and really appreciate this article. Would you mind if I passed this article around, of course giving you credit as author?

I have been in labradors (breeding) for 7 years, but have had them for awhile longer . I do all events (obedience, agility, conformation, and finally field) and am doing my first (sorry to say I am just doing them now) WC's in May. I have some that are "very English" and some that are moderate, which would be a field show cross in my opinion. They are smaller & compact but not cumbersome in any way. They are full of drive but relaxed when not working. They are my favorite as they can do everything and are not completely wore out all the time and are not hyper when not working.

My lines include the old styles such as Cambremer, Rocheby, Poolstead, Could Be, and now I have a Dickendall boy. I breed my dogs to have titles on both ends.

But anyway... I agree with you... at the AKC specialities all I see are overdone, fat, short, tubby dogs. I want to blame the breeders, but actually it's the judges; if the judges wouldn't put those dogs up, I am sure the breeders would be changing their program. However, if you take a more moderate lab (as the standard calls for) in the ring you will not get put up so it is a waste of $27.

I found the UKC and this Kennel Club focusses on dogs that are conformationally correct but can also do what they are bred to do. I have seen a few of the fat, tubby labs compete but they weren't even looked at as the judges felt those dogs would not be able to do what they were bred to do.

Thanks again for this article, I hope many people read it and appreciate the value of its meaning....labs as true retriever!

Best Regards,
Mary Gehlhoff
Golden Path Labradors