Saturday, December 13, 2008

Deer Incident

Had an incident last night at about 2am that I thought was kind of a neat story (also scary) that I thought you might enjoy.

I took Cassie (our Border Collie) out to pee last night about 2am as she was whining (we went to bed early so I didn't let them out at the normal time before bed). As soon as we got outside Cassie ran to the corner of the yard and stood looking at something that I couldn't see. I started walking towards her and then I saw what she saw....3 very large female deer were in the yard of the Mormon Church which is right behind my house.

nash and cassie


Well Cassie being a Border Collie, she bolted at top speed after them, they took off running towards Mountain road went across the street and down into the woods. I chased after her on foot but all I saw were tracks in the snow of 3 deer and one dog. I immediately jumped in the car and was going up and down mountain road and side streets calling her name, no good, she was into the woods after these deer. I came home, woke Carrie and then feeling very helpless I had an idea! I leashed up Nash, took him outside and said, "where's Cassie, find Cassie!" in an excited tone, well Nash never pulls on the leash.. He took off like a bat out of hell with me running as fast as I could being almost dragged behind him. I didn't even lead him to the corner of the yard where she last was and he followed the trail. It was just like in the movies where the bloodhound catches a scent and then just bolts down the trail. He led me through 3 neighbors yards, over Mountain Road and through the woods for what seemed like forever and I was calling Cassie's name the whole time. Nash is dragging me through the woods, branches hitting me in the face, down a huge ravine and even deeper into the woods, when I could look I saw dog tracks and deer tracks. I'm not sure if Nash was chasing the deer, or Cassie's scent but the next thing I know, in the pitch dark, it's raining like a monsoon and Cassie is standing beside us. You can see from the attached picture how far that Nash followed the trail from our yard to where we found Cassie thanks to Google Maps.

Well Nash is one of the smartest, most trainable dogs I've ever owned or seen. And I've lost count of how many people who have asked me where we got him because he's such a good looking dog.


Charles Green